Buddhist circuit tour is our cross-border tour package that covers the major Buddhist shrines of Nepal and India. The tour starts from Kathmandu, then Lumbini, Kushinagar, Bodh Gaya and Sarnath. These four points hold a special significance related to Buddha’s life including birth, enlightenment, sermonizing and finally death. For this reason, the four places are known as the sacred sites for Buddhist pilgrims. Hence this tour package is famous as Classic Buddhist Pilgrimage Tour as well.
Buddha’s birthplace is found to be Lumbini indeed and lies at about 300 kilometers south-west of Kathmandu in Rupandehi District of Province 5 in Nepal, close to Nepal-India border. In fact, it is the place where Queen Mayadevi gave birth to Siddhartha Gautama in 563 BCE. It is believed that Indian Emperor Ashok travelled to Lumbini later in 249 BCE and built a pillar to mark as Buddha’s birthplace. Since then the pillar is regarded as Ashokan pillar.
Lumbini is also the UNESCO listed world heritage site and it is expected to have boom on the religious tourism. Likewise, the ongoing construction of international airport in Lumbini is a silver line to bring more pilgrims in the coming days. We have also designed a custom Buddhist Circuit trek within Nepal that connects the major Buddhist monuments including Pharping Monastery, Namo Buddha, Ramgram in Nawal Parasi and Kudan with Tilaurakot in Kapilvastu.
Buddhist Circuit Tour Highlights:
- Visit of major Buddhist shrines such as Lumbini, Kushinagar, Bodh Gaya and Sarnath
- Cross-border tour experience of Nepal and India
- Covers major places connected with Buddha and Buddhism
- Sightseeing to the Buddhist monuments in Kathmandu
- Scenic Mountain views during Kathmandu-Lumbini flight
Buddhist Circuit Tour Itinerary:
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu.
– Reception at the airport, then transfer to hotel.
Day 02: Guided sightseeing in Kathmandu.
– Visit of Buddhist shrines such as Swoyambhunath, Boudhanath and Kopan Monastery.
Day 03: Fly Kathmandu to Bhairahawa, drive further to Lumbini.
– Lumbini is the place where Buddha was born and it is in Nepal
– Visit of Mayadevi Temple and important monasteries in Lumbini at the same time.
Cross-border tour starts here:
Day 04: Drive Lumbini to Shravasti (Approx. 200 kms).
– Visit of the Sahet-Mahet archeological site.
– Observe the ruins of ancient stupas, idols and inscriptions.
– Visit of Angulimala’s Stupa, it is one of the major monuments in Shravasti.
Day 05: Drive Shravasti to Kushinagar (Approx. 250 kms).
– Tour of Mahaparinirvana Stupa and Ramabhar Stupa including other important stupas.
– It is believed that Ramabhar Stupa was built over a portion of the Buddha’s ashes on the spot where he was cremated.
– Visit of Mahaparinirvana Stupa, it is said to be the place where Buddha took the last breath.
Day 06: Drive Kushinagar to Patna via Kesariya and Vaishali (Approx. 250 Kms).
– Archeologists excavated the world’s tallest Stupa in Kesariya having a height of 104 feet.
– Vaishali is an important Buddhist archaeological site.
Day 07: Drive Patna to Bodh Gaya via Nalanda and Rajgir (Approx. 170 kms).
– Visit of the ruins of Nalanda University, museum, temples and stupas in Nalanda.
– Tour of Saptaparni Cave, hot springs, the Vishwa Shanti Stupa in Rajgir.
Day 08: Free day in Bodh Gaya.
– Bodh Gaya is the site where Buddha attained enlightenment beneath a sacred Bodhi Tree.
– Visit of the Mahabodhi Temple.
Day 09: Drive Bodh Gaya to Sarnath and then Varanasi (Approx. 260 kms).
– Sarnath is the place where Buddha delivered his first sermon.
– Sarnath holds a high importance where Buddha turned the Wheel of Life.
– Varanasi is one of India’s oldest and holiest cities for both Hindu and Buddhist pilgrims.
Day 10: Fly Varanasi to Kathmandu or Delhi or onward to your destination.
– Kashi Vishwanath Temple, Banaras Hindu University and Dashashwamedh ghat are the highlights of the holy Varanasi.
- All arrival/departure transfers (Airport/Hotel/Airport) by a private vehicle
- Three stars Hotel in Nepal and India including breakfast on a twin sharing basis
- Overland transportation by a private vehicle as per the itinerary
- English speaking Guide throughout the tour
- Traditional Nepali dinner following a live cultural program
- Bar and beverage bills, meals
- Monument entrance fees
- Personal cloths and expenses
- Personal travel and medical insurance
- International Airfare and Visa
Please Contact Us for a reasonable quote for the Buddhist circuit tour package.