Machhapuchhre Model trek is an innovation to fulfill the necessity of alternative trekking trail to the popular Annapurna Circuit trek. The Annapurna Circuit trail is experiencing some risks due to the construction of motor-able road from Besi-Sahar to Chame. It is a quiet trekking trail for trekkers who are looking for less crowded trek route in the Annapurna region.
This less explored trek is named as Machhapuchhre Model trek. It is a joint effort of TAAN and local tourism entrepreneurs to develop the alternative destinations in the Annapurna region. The main feature of this trek is the exotic view of the Mt. Machhapuchhre or Fishtail (6,997m/22,957ft). Therefore, the trail got its name from the sacred peak Machhapuchhre.
|01||Drive/fly Kathmandu to Pokhara||884m/2,900ft||Drive: 6-7 hours
Fly: 30 minutes
|02||Short drive to Milanchok and trek to Ghachok||1,254m/4,114ft||Trek: 4-5 hours|
|03||Trek Ghachok to Dhiprang||1,440m/4,724ft||Trek: 4-5 hours|
|04||Trek Dhiprang to Chichemle Kharka||2,645m/8,678ft||Trek: 4-5 hours|
|05||Trek Chichemle Kharka to Lalka||2,250m/7,382ft||Trek: 5-6 hours|
|06||Trek Lalka to Ribhan||1,430m/4,691ft||Trek: 4-5 hours|
|07||Trek Ribhan to Lachok||1,160m/3,805ft||Trek: 4-5 hours|
|08||Trek Lachok to Milanchok and drive back to Pokhara||884m/2,900ft||Trek: 2-3 hours|
|09||Drive/fly Pokhara to Kathmandu||1,350m/4,430ft||Drive: 6-7 hours
Fly: 30 minutes
This route is still virgin and available for 3 to a maximum of 8 days. Trekkers may extend the trek up to Mardi Himal Base Camp enjoying the great views of snow-capped Himalayan Range including the popular Mount Annapurna and Fishtail, mountain landscapes, natural hot water springs, mixed indigenous lifestyles, rhododendron forest, ancient caves, waterfalls, various species of flora and fauna and obviously the amazing view points.
This trek route provides a socio-cultural experience promoting the village tourism with home stay provisions in 7 different villages en-route namely Lachok, Ghachok, Machhapuchhre, Ribhan, Lwang Ghalel, Sardikhola and Dhital thus benefiting almost 16,000 local villagers. This trek is more environmentally-friendly and economically beneficial to the local communities.
Season for Machhapuchhre Model Trek
- High Season: Machhapuchhre Model trek is best to do during spring (March to May) and autumn (September to November). Among the two major seasons, spring can be more pleasant with the rhododendron flowers blooming over the hills while autumn offers an enchanting view of the mountains because of the clear sky by the summer rainfall.
- Low Season: The remaining two seasons can be less interesting but still doable. However, it is possible to trek during winter and summer is still favourable who are fond of summer hiking. A good sleeping bag and jacket are necessary for winter trekking and a rain coat and water proof back pack should be managed for trekking especially in summer.
- The spectacular views of Mt.Annapurna and Mt. Fishtail
- Home staying with local family
- Rhododendron forest
- Various species of flora and fauna
- Amazing view of waterfalls and ancient caves
- Mixed indigenous lifestyles
- The great countryside, terrace farming and mountain landscapes